Friday, November 18, 2016

What I thought about Doodletopia Fairies by Christopher Hart



I'm not going to say I'm a super awesome artist because I am not the best but I can kind of draw things. I'm one of those types of people that need to look at other things for inspiration though. I can then form my own creations based on it. Landing proportions can be tough if you aren't used to it.

I decided to pick up Doodletopia Fairies to review because it looked genuinely interesting. If someone can teach me how to better my techniques then I am all for it. The book is lush and filled with many different kinds of whimsical fairies. Christopher lays out his drawing and then puts a blank slate on the next page giving you a chance to try it out. He explains the little details that will help make your creation fit the particular style/mood.



You can see his playful little style in each of his drawings. I really do love the fact that he basically puts a mannequin in the way and tells your to add or try what he says. His directions are easy to understand and straight to the point. I'm a 30 year old woman and I enjoyed filling in the details but I would totally give this to my 12 year old to play around with. Not only are you learning but it IS fun. The paper makes it easy to even color in if you want. It took color pencils really well. I only did one so far but here is what I came up with.



Can you tell what I borrowed my design from? It's an acknowledgement to Mercy from Overwatch. I love the way her face came out looking so innocent. Eyebrows are everything as well as eye shape. It will give your character the mood they need.

So I didn't even know who Christopher Hart was so I did look him up. I now recognized who he was because I have always seen his How To Draw Anime/Manga books around at Michael's arts and crafts stores. What a wonderfully talented individual.

Be sure to check out his site here where you can check out all his books: http://christopherhartbooks.com/


A big thumbs up to him and this book. It's wonderful for any age and I would most definitely recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Spin Master Gabby's Dollhouse Cakey's Kitchen

  We recently got the chance to check out the Spin Master Gabby's Dollhouse Cakey's Kitchen. Lucas really adores Gabby's Dollhou...